RAD LOOKS FOR NIGHTS AT THE RINK
styled and written by Taylor Irby
photography by Tina Sargeant
hair and makeup by Yolanda Floyd of Mirabella’s
Signature Salon & Spa
It’s a Friday night. You are so excited to shut those school books for a couple of days and skate your weekday troubles away. You can already feel the atmosphere of bright blinking lights, loud music, and the smell of pizza whirling around in your mind. You live for Friday nights at the skating rink.
Of course, a few details have to be figured out first: Which friends will I meet there? Who’s going to drop me off? Man, I hope I don’t have to wait in the line too long! Did I grab my loose change so I can play arcade games? And most importantly … What will I wear?
To kick off this season, we are bringing back the iconic style of the ’80s skating era (for those of you who can recall it and those who can’t). Though the ’80s are usually characterized by spandex and an array of blinding neons, we are embracing the individual personalities of these modern “Generation Z” babes. We set the scene with a modern and playful twist while remaining true to the core of the decade — crimped hair and sequins, ultra-cool graphic tees, and washed denim.
Let’s revisit the dawn of comic books, yo-yos, and the classic comeback of tube socks. It’s time to celebrate the decade that truly made skating great. Roll on over to your local Skate World and remember why Friday nights were once your favorite time of the week. It can still be just as magical.
Skate World Lakeland has been a staple in the community for a long time (40 years to be exact)! Each year, we feel we make more improvements, get more involved in the community, and have more families and friends heading into our facility to make life long memories. We’re so excited to celebrate our 40 years that we couldn’t help but throw an event!
Join us on Feb. 12, 2017 for our Reunion Skate. It’s 18+, and we’re ready to get down! From 6:00-10:00 pm you’ll get $8 admission, #3 rentals and a whole lot of fun. We’ll be playing music from the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and now. This is a fantastic chance for those who have been long-time visitors of Skate World and Lakeland community members to throw it back.
We can’t thank you all enough for your constant love and support of Skate World Lakeland. We’re incredibly thankful to have loyal visitors like you, and thank you for keeping us around for 40 years strong! We can’t wait to see what else 2017 has in store.
If you’re looking for more fun events this much, check out our Valentine’s Day Skate just two days later on February 14th! We’ll have one free skate admission with one paid admission (so you’re getting a BOGO deal)! Keep in mind that rentals are an additional charge. The event will be from 6:00-8:00 pm, so get lovey dovey because Valentine’s Day is better on wheels!
For more information on our Reunion Skate and other upcoming events, check out our Facebook page or our upcoming events page on our website. With additional questions, please give us a call at (863) 687-6447 . We’ll see you soon!
The holidays are in full swing and we’re full of nostalgia! Thanksgiving is one of our favorite holidays because it’s a great time to reflect on the things we’ve been blessed with. There is so much to be thankful for, and we want to share with you the few things we have been grateful to have at Skate World!
So what are we thankful for?
- Our friends and family. Not only is our staff thankful for their own friends and family, but the Lakeland community who has become our second family. Without you guys, Skate World wouldn’t be where we are today. And we’re forever grateful for the love and support we’ve received over the years. You guys rock!
- Our health. In a place where we so heavily stress physical activity, we are so grateful for our health. Not many people have the ability to get up on a pair of skates, spend a day out and enjoy a roller skating experience like everyone else can. This Thanksgiving we’re thinking of the children in hospitals and bedsides, unable to endure exercise. Skate for them this holiday. And take a look at these health benefits from roller skating.
- Our education. We are so blessed to be a part of STEM, allowing children to have fun and improve their education. Our education is something we often take for granted; get motivated and have the will to learn new things each and every day!
- Our hope. Whether it’s your faith or not, cling on to the hope you have. Be grateful that each day is an opportunity to gain a new perspective, start fresh and make a change in the world!
We hope our Lakeland friends and family have a safe and happy Thanksgiving! Bring the whole gang in for a family fun outing on wheels this week! Take a look at our Thanksgiving break calendar. We can’t wait to see you soon!
Want a holiday party for the books? You’re in the right place! We’ve had a million and one fantastic parties at Skate World, and we’ve noticed that the biggest thing you can do to a have great party is to be prepared.
So, treat this as a “know before you go” guide on how to make the most out of your next party.
Why should you throw a holiday party at Skate World?
- It’s perfect for everyone. As the holidays get closer and the extended family heads into town, it’s often difficult to find a family outing activity that everyone will enjoy. But big or small, old or young, roller skating is something affordable and fun that everyone will love!
- We have great specials. Check out our upcoming events page to stay up to date with all of our holiday events around Thanksgiving and Christmas! We had a fun week planned for Thanksgiving, and will have more Christmas details coming soon!
- It’s fun, and healthy. Let’s face it; we all put on an extra few pounds over the holidays! Roller skating is great exercise, and you’ll have fun doing it.
How can I make the most out of my holiday party?
- Read our packages. Prices, number of children and extras are just a few things that vary with each birthday party package. Read our packages on our birthday parties page to find out which one best suits you, or visit our group events page!
- Take advantage of specials. For birthday parties specials, visit our Facebook page for more info! Right now, we have a special on Friday parties between 4:30-6:30 pm. Book your party at this time and you’ll get $100 off! Use code FALL2016 in checkout.
- Book in advance. We cannot stress this enough! The holidays are especially busy, so you can never book your party too far in advance. It’s the best way to guarantee the time and date you want.
- Talk to us. We want to make this experience as smooth and fantastic as possible for you. So talk to us! Tell us if you have any specifications or accommodations needed in the comments section of the party booking. Or give us a call at (863) 687-6447 before booking, we’d love to chat with you!
Happy Holidays! We can’t wait to see you at Skate World!
Think about when you’ve gone to buy a new pair of shoes. What are some key components you look for? For most, comfortability, sizing and stability are three key aspects. Well, the same goes for roller skates! We like to say “fit properly to skate properly.” The scoop to being a skating pro is having the right shoes. So how do you know which ones to pick?
Think about the purpose.
There are two types of skates for children; quad skates and inline skates. Quad skates are what you’re most likely used to seeing; a four wheel skate typically used in indoor settings like Skate World. Inline skates (roller blades) are for the more experienced skater, as it’s harder to balance and they’re used in outdoor settings. Quad skates are more conventional and great for beginners.
Get the sizing right.
Skates are kind of like tennis shoes. As your kid grows, they’ll grow out of their skates! We recommend buying skates a size bigger, but no more than that. It works out anyway, because we also recommend wearing thick socks to prevent any blisters. Be sure to tie laces correctly as well, as it greatly effects how the skates fit.
Suit their style.
Pick out a design or color that you think your child will love most! Each skate is unique, just like your child, and they’ll want the skates to be as personable as possible. Check out this inspiration for 80’s themed skates! Use rhinestones, glue, appliques, etc. to bedazzle your skates.
So now that you’ve figured out which skates to buy, the question now is where do you buy them? And the answer is; US! Skate World Lakeland has a ton of skates to choose from, which you can find in our online skate catalog. For more information, you can give us a call at (863) 678-6447 to inquire about pricing and special ordering.
And as we gear into Thanksgiving, what more could you ask for than a Black Friday Skate Sale? If you visit us on November 25th and purchase a skate package over $100, you’ll receive $100 back on a Skate World gift card for admission (or to get skates)!
Ghosts, goblins and ghouls oh my! The holiday is just a few short weeks away, and we thought it might be important to cover some safety tips (especially with all these crazy clowns running around)! While Halloween is an absolute blast for the kids, you always hear parents saying “be careful.” Because let’s face it, it’s dangerous out there! Here are our best safety tips for this year’s night out.
Do trick or treating right.
Especially for younger children, parents should always accompany the group. If your kids are a little older and they are going by themselves, schedule a time they should meet back at the house, and review their route before they go. Make sure the group has a flashlight, a cell phone, and have the kids enter only the houses that have a lit porch. As far as the actual route, make sure the kids are staying on the sidewalks and out of the streets, only cross at crosswalks, and don’t assume you have the right of way.
Keep it (somewhat) healthy.
Easier said than done right? We all know the kids can’t help but dive into their bag of treats! To prevent a sugar overload, have them eat a full meal before they leave, so they’ll be discouraged from gorging themselves later. Before the kids sort our their candy, make sure you’re the first one to do it. If anything looks tampered with, open, spoiled or suspicious, throw it away. In order to help them ration out their treats, tell them they can sort out two pieces of candy to eat each day, and put them in ziploc bags for the week.
Dress for success.
Costumes are more important than you think when it comes to safety! If possible, try to snatch up a costume that has reflective lights, and that their shoes fit well to avoid tripping. Hats, masks, etc. should also fit properly, and if you can’t find one that does, consider trying makeup instead! All sort of weapons (swords, light sabers, etc) should be foamy material, and wigs or costumes in general should be flame resistant.
And there you have it! We hope everyone has a safe and happy Halloween. We’d love to see what kinds of costumes you guys have come up with. Wear your costumes to the rink, snap a picture, and tag us on Facebook or Twitter for a shout out!
As always, Skate World Lakeland is the most fun, clean and safe environment to spend your Halloween weekend celebration! Join us on Oct. 28th for our Costume Contest, and you could win a pair of roller skates!
Can you believe last week marked the start of fall? Where has the time gone! As we transition into fall, there’s a ton for kids to be excited about. From pumpkin patches to apple cider, there’s a million and one ways to get into the fall spirit. If your child has a birthday party this fall, it’s the perfect opportunity to incorporate a fun fall theme. Here are a few of our favorites with recipes, games, crafts and invites to win that party of the year award!
- This theme allows for lots of color and creativity! For a party dessert, these monster rice krispie treats are super fun and clever.
- This craft is one of our favorites! Create these easy paper bag monsters for your craft activity.
- There are so many fun games, and this feed the monster game is a winner for everyone! You can also think about spinning classic games with a new twist; for example, pin the eye on the monster.
- Get yourself some pairs of googly eyes and colorful construction paper and you’re good to go! Use this template as inspiration.
- This theme is easy and affordable because there is so much you can do with pumpkins. For a party snack, try this pumpkin patch pudding cups.
- Use pumpkins as your ultimate craft! Carve them, paint them, bedazzle them; use your imagination.
- For games, use pumpkins as your resource. Try creating a life size tic tac toe board with pumpkins, playing a ring toss with the pumpkin stems, or bob for mini pumpkins.
- There a ton of free printable templates online for pumpkin invites. Or you can create your own using tools like Canva!
Wizard or Witch Party
- This is a very versatile theme, as you can take a lot of different directions with this! Whether you go the Harry Potter or Hocus Pocus route, there are a ton of fun ideas to choose from. For snacks, try making these wicked witch cupcakes.
- For a fun craft, have the kids make their own magic potions, or create their own broomsticks and wands.
- For games, try playing musical broomsticks, pin the broom on the witch or coming up with your own fun game.
- Incorporating broomsticks, potions, etc. will make your invites a showstopper!
We hope you’ve enjoyed these themes! We can help make your themed party come to life at Skate World. All you have to do is bring the cake, and we’ll help plan and organize the rest for you. And beginning Oct. 1 through the end of the year, you can get $100 off your private birthday party between 4:30-6:30. You can also get into the fall spirit with us at our Wrap the Rink event on Oct. 7, where we’ll have a little too much fun with toilet paper! Happy fall and we’ll see you soon!
September is all about getting back into the swing of things. It’s back to school, back into a routine and the beginning of cooler weather. And it’s also #SelfImprovementMonth! This is a great time to do a little self-reflection, and find new ways to improve yourself. And lucky for you, there are a ton of skills and aspects of life we can help you improve on!
- Improve your fitness. Skating is not only fun, but it’s exercise as well! Did you know that skating for an hour can burn up to 600 calories? If you’re not one for gyms and running, then this is the best way to improve your fitness, and have a blast doing it. Studies have shown that working out with friends greatly increases your motivation. So bring a few friends or family members and get your fitness on!
- Improve your team building skills. There’s no better environment than Skate World for hands on team building skills and exercises. Whether you’re a sports team, church group, corporate office or other, we have a ton of fun activities and games that will improve your communication and social skills. And it will get your creative juices flowin’!
- Improve your community. What’s more self-fulfilling than giving back to the community? Host a fundraiser with us and you’ll do just that! And even if you don’t host your own, join us every Thursday from 6-9 pm for our Skate N Donate’s, where a portion of the proceeds from the night will to the fundraiser’s organization of choice.
What are you hoping to improve? Do you have any goals set for the end of the year? Let us know how you’re going to achieve those goals and how we can help! Check out the hashtag #SelfImprovementMonth on social media to get some inspiration and see how others are improving.
Giveaways and contests are our favorite, because we love the engagement from our Lakeland friends and family! And let’s face it; who doesn’t like free stuff? We’re having a $25 gift card giveaway this September, and it could be yours!
So what’s the giveaway?
Skate World Lakeland is working on creating a photo album, where we want to feature the best moments from our rink. We’ve created so many memories over the past few years, and it’s been such a pleasure helping create family fun memories that will last a lifetime. So, we’re asking you to submit your best photos and videos, which will enter you in to win a $25 admission gift card to the rink.
How do I enter?
- Like and comment on this post telling us about your favorite memory at Skate World.
- Send your favorite photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have from September 1-30th to submit. We will announce a winner on our Facebook page at 12:00 pm September 30th. The winner will be chosen at random.
Easy enough right? We thought so!
Want to learn more about fun upcoming events happening at Skate World? Take a look on our site for more info! We’ve also updated our hours as the kids head back to school, and offer a ton of opportunities for fundraising and group events. Fall is also the perfect time to host your kid’s next birthday party, and we have a ton of party packages to choose from.
We can’t wait to see your submissions! Thank you to all our Lakeland friends and family who have supported us over the years. We couldn’t have done it without you!